September 19, 2007

Candidate Calculator

My friend Jeff Wheeler posted a link to this presidential candidate calculator on his website. As I've previously written, I'm not yet sure who to support, and I'm always game for these kinds of polls. You might take it for yourself to see how you do.

Here's how I answered some of the questions:
Do you support...
  • Abortion rights: No
  • Death penalty: Yes
  • No child left behind: No
  • Stem cell research: Unsure
  • ANWR drilling: Yes
  • Assault weapons ban: Yes
  • Gun background checks: Yes
  • Citizen path for illegals: No
  • Border fence: Yes
  • Support Iraq war: No
  • Iran military action: No
  • Iran sanctions: Yes
  • Increase minimum wage: No
  • Same sex marriage: No
  • Universal healthcare: Unsure
  • School vouchers: Yes
  • Privatize social security: Unsure
You are suppose to rate the issues as high, medium, and low in terms of importance to you. My results were as follows:
  • John Cox: 94 percent match. I don't know who John Cox is. He is easily my closest match.
  • Mitt Romney, Tommy Thompson, Rudy Giuliani, Tom Tancredo: These four were bunched together as a statistical group in the 80 percent range.
  • Highest Democrat: Joe Biden at 56 percent match
  • Three lowest matches: Bill Richardson, Hillary Clinton, John Edwards
What did I learn? I guess I really am more of a Republican than a Democrat, despite my lack of strong enthusiasm for any particular announced candidate. Perhaps I should find out more about John Cox, though it would be a waste of my time, because he ain't gonna win. Tommy Thompson has already dropped out of the race. I'm surprised that Rudy is a strong match (I don't think I would want to support him). Perhaps I've been too quick to dismiss Mitt Romney.

Let me know how you score.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am an avid reader of your blog and found your "Candidate Calculator" post very interesting. I, like you, learned that I'am more republican than I thought, but for the sake of my sanity will try to keep this revelation from making me rethink my entire political life. I have always enjoyed Romney but would like to hear more about his healthcare plan that he recently proposed. It looks good on paper but I'm afraid execution will be messy. Anyways, keep up the blogging.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am an avid reader of your blog and found your "Candidate Calculator" post very interesting. I, like you, learned that I'am more republican than I thought, but for the sake of my sanity will try to keep this revelation from making me rethink my entire political life. I have always enjoyed Romney but would like to hear more about his healthcare plan that he recently proposed. It looks good on paper but I'm afraid execution will be messy. Anyways, keep up the blogging.